28 July 2010

Fluorescent Curry

I used to live with a nice family in Massachusetts and the lady of the house, Margaret, frequently cooked this curry. Or something like this curry. I remember hers as beguilingly brown and fragrant. Mine is fluorescent green and tasteless. Julia told me it would get better the next day. The next day it was blander. Today I blanketed my curry in fresh sliced garden herbs, and it blanded them too! This curry is hopeless. I think I added too much coconut milk.

Do you even want the recipe?
OK, here goes.

Chartreuse Curry
1. Place 1 chopped onion, 5 smashed and peeled garlic cloves, a huge bunch of clean fresh cilantro, and 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil in a blender or food processer. Process until mushy.
2. Cook in a fry pan for 5 minutes.
3. Add a spice mixture: 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, a pinch coriander, and some salt. Fry five minutes.
4. Add 2 chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of plain nonfat yogurt. Mix up. Fry until brown (er).
5. Then add the optional ingredients: 1 can coconut milk, 1 package cubed tofu, peas, snap peas, chopped vegetables, mushrooms, chickpeas, tempeh, or whatever you want. Heat up until tender.
6. Top with fresh lime juice or fresh ginger. Also optional.
7. Serve hot over rice.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter