29 June 2010

More Sandwichy Goodness


I had leftovers from my vegetable sushi-making of the other night, and I didn't know what to do with them. Then I remembered how incredibly delicious warm, crusty Vietnamese sandwiches (called banh mi I think?) can be. I had some in Berkeley, CA that were only $2 and mouthwatering. Like I did for my last sandwich, I scrambled an egg, but frankly, I think this would be better with tofu. You could scramble tofu with a little turmeric, or you could sauté little crispy golden cubes of tofu. I wish I had some tofu! But I had eggs so this is what I did:

Sarah's Poor Banh Mi Subsitute Sandwich:

Ingredients
bread, GF or not, toasted (crusty baguette is the ideal)
Mayonnaise or my new eggless favorite substitute, Vegenaise (they sell this at Whole Foods)
small tomato, chopped
1 egg or a bunch of delicious tofu
cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced into matchsticks
carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
lettuce, crispy (optional but awesome)

Directions:
1. Slather mayo or Vegenaise on bread.
2. Meanwhile, scramble eggs or fry tofu with tomato.
3. Meanwhile, boil carrot matchsticks in heavily sugared boiling water until al dente. Drain.
4. On bread shovel some (lettuce and) eggs-tomato mixture. Top with as many crunchy carrots and cucumbers as possible.
5. Cram gleefully into mouth.

One egg equals roughly 3 sandwiches.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter