21 March 2009

Arroz Verde

This particular Puree with Solids is the shiznit, as the saying goes, but more importantly, I learned a valuable lesson from Julia while I made it. I was doubling the recipe and I had to puree a large quantity of herbs and spinach plus broth. Because I have had issues with putting too much stuff into the blender and then having excess liquid explode from it (despite having my hand firmly pushing down the cap), I decided to Take It Slow. I decided to puree half of everything at a time. The first session went really well and it seemed obvious to me that I could simply add the rest of the greens and broth and puree it all together. So I added it all and pureed and then it suddenly hit me that maybe I had just added the greens but NOT the broth. I added 2 more cups of broth, and then I was gripped with terror that I had already added it before. Too much liquid would completely ruin this recipe! I turned to Julia and asked her whether it looked like the blender had 4 cups of liquid plus greens or 6 cups of liquid plus greens. "Well," she said calmly, "why don't you just check the measure marks on the blender?"

I had no idea that the blender doubled as a measuring cup. The marks are not colored but just clear protruding glass, which is how I missed this important detail. It turned out that I had not in fact added too much liquid and the recipe was saved.

This recipe comes from The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook and unsurprisingly requires a fuzzy logic rice cooker (I love you Zojirushi!).

Arroz Verde

Serves 4.

2 cloves garlic
1/2 Cup packed Italian flat parsley (stems ok)
1/2 Cup packed cilantro (stems ok)
1 Cup packed spinach
2 Cups broth (I use No Chicken Broth)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
1 Cup long grain white rice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste

1. In a blender, combine stock, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and spinach in blender and liquefy.
2. Set rice cooker on Quick Cook and add oil. When oil is hot add onion and cook 5 minnutes. Add rice and stir occasionally for 10 minutes. Close cover and cook another 5 minutes until toasty.
3. Add puree and remaining ingredients and reset for regular cycle (you will probably have to take the bowl out and let it cool a few minutes first). Stir well. When cycle finishes, steam another 10 minutes.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter