15 March 2011

Pasta e Fagioli

There's a moment in all of our lives, I think, when we gaze deep, deep into the recesses of our pantries and fridges and think, "There's nothing to eat"…even though there is.

Actually, I experience that moment several times a week. Yesterday included. This time I told myself to be creative and Make Do. This pasta and bean salad is what I Made Did. It's not super different from my Vegetarian Pasta Salad, but Gavin ate two servings and pronounced it "delicious," so I felt proud enough to share this recipe with you.

I've decided that currently American brand pasta is no good. Use Italian pasta, whether white or whole wheat. De Lallo and Mantova have worked well for me in the past and De Lallo's whole wheat penne keeps my belly happy.

Chickpeas n' Pasta

1 lb. penne
1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
a few handfuls of fresh greens, washed and dried
1/2 onion, sliced
1 glass jar artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and chopped
1/4 Cup minced nuts
oil

1. Put on water to boil. Add pasta and cook until a nice, toothy texture. Drain and pour into a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, saute onion until a bit browned.
3. Add everything to the bowl with the pasta. Put in a big spoon and shake it all about. Then you do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around. That's what it's all about.

Serve hot or cold. If it's a little bland, I like to offer crumbled blue cheese on the side for guests.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter