15 April 2009

Vegetable Stir-Fry

I should probably tell you that when I asked for feedback, the actual response to my mashed potatoes was:
Ezra--"I'm a fan."
Bill--"I'm glad it's not too rich."
Mopsy--"Eh, I'm not that impressed."

So there you go. Thoroughly humbled, I created my stir-fry the following night with the greatest of care. I remembered advice received from Vegetarian Times Magzine, George Mateljan's cookbook The World's Healthiest Foods, and a cooking secret from my favorite Thai restaurant, Little Plearn Thai in Berkeley, CA. Responses to this stir-fry were as follows:

Ezra--"That looks fantastic."
Bill--"Mmmfrarmph" (chewing)
Mopsy--"This is the best stir-fry I have ever had."

I called George to crow about it.
George--"You are getting a big head."

He's right. But it really was an excellent stir-fry.

Sarah's Kosher for Passover Stir-Fry
Just remember not to dry the vegetables after washing them.

Ingredients:
ketchup (kosher for Passover OK, I used Gefen brand)
salt
pepper
juice of one orange
Optional vegetables (I used all of them):
2 onions, sliced
1 stalk broccoli, quartered and cut into 2-inch pieces
a bit of cauliflower, quartered and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends discarded, snapped into 3-inch pieces
1 orange bell pepper, sliced
1 package shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into bite-size pieces
1 package sliced button mushrooms
1 can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
1 can baby corn, drained and rinsed

Directions:
1. In a very large skillet or wok, saute onions slowly in cottonseed or canola oil a quarter-inch deep.
2. When onions are golden and oozy, mix in salt, pepper, and ketchup to taste.Push onions to the side.
3. Add cauliflower and broccoli. Cover skillet tightly. Stir occasionally. When the broccoli tastes about 3 minutes away from being tender, add asparagus, bell peppers, and shiitake and button mushrooms. Cover again. Stir occasionally.
4. When asparagus is tender, turn off heat. Add more ketchup, salt, and pepper to taste. Add canned vegetables and mix everything together thoroughly. Toss juice of the orange over everything. Cover tightly to allow canned vegetables to heat up a little.
5. Serve immediately to 3 to 5 people. Bask in the glow of their admiration.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter