09 December 2010

Grated Beet Salad

I wanted a light, earthy side to go with my latkes for the Chanukah party tonight. Reading a bunch of cookbooks by Jews, I noticed they like to pair potato pancakes with beet dishes. All these beet dishes, though, were too complicated and required too many expensive ingredients. I wanted a recipe that I could make in 5 minutes. So I invented this salad, and let me tell you: people loved it. David liked to mix it with the sour cream and homemade applesauce and eat it with his latkes all together. Stirred into his sour cream, it reminded George of borscht. For me, the grated texture pleasantly echoed the hot fried latkes—but in a sweet, cool, fresh way. Also, the deep purple mound looked majestic next to the golden latkes and cool white sour cream.

Unfortunately, beet juice doesn't look too majestic on my sleeves.

Grated Beet Salad

a few beets, peeled
a carrot, peeled
a lemon
extra virgin olive oil

1. In a food processor with a grating attachment, grate the beets and carrots. Mix them together.
2. Juice the lemon. Mix with some oil in a 2:1 ratio.
3. Mix together vegetables and dressing to taste. Serve soon, with a helping of klezmer music.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter