12 February 2010

Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Beer

The color of sunshine changes throughout the day. In the morning the sun's rays shine a bright yellow-white, but as the day wanes the color darkens. My soup was the color of late afternoon light and felt like someone was wrapping my innards in a cozy liquid blanket. As the golden goodness lingered on my tongue, it tasted soothing, spicy, peppery, and sweet. I asked George what ingredients he'd used.

"Well, butternut squash was the prime ingredient," he answered obliquely.

I'd gathered that when he'd referred to it as Butternut Squash Soup. The squash carcasses in the kitchen confirmed the accuracy of his label. I also espied an abandoned box of "No Chicken Broth," and George admitted to using it. He continued, "Onion, apple, freshly grated nutmeg, allspice, and…" he gazed at me intently, "beer."

Beer! Sheer brilliance. It added a touch of complex darkness and functioned as a culinary symbol of our mixed attitudes towards healthy behavior (a seesaw between pious obedience and rebellious resentment).

I was not privy to the concotion of this soup, but as for clues, the soup's texture had a smooth puréed quality, both our food processor and blender were dirty, the fine mesh strainer contained apple seeds and peel, and an apple core and onion skin graced the cutting board. Also I found a used microplane grater. Draw your own conclusions!

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter