18 October 2009

Curry Lentil Stew

Sometimes a person like me, who adores spicy food, has trouble compromising with a person like George, whose stomach revolts if the food is too spicy. Usually I just spoon a little ichimi togarashi onto my own dish and that's the best I can do. But it turns out that we have a dish that has all the warm Asian spicy flavor I desire and all the mild creaminess George desires—and it barely takes any effort to cook!

This recipe is very close to Mark Bittman's recipe in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, but I've found that certain interpretations of his recipe allow for much less satisfaction. So this is my version that works every time.

Curry Lentil

1 Cup lentils, washed and picked over
1 (15 oz.) can coconut milk
Imagine No-Chicken broth
1 Tablespoon Madras curry powder
2 medium or 3 small boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks

1. You want 3 1/2 Cups of liquid. First use all of the coconut milk, which should be about 1 3/4 Cup, and make the rest up of broth.
2. Combine lentils, liquid, and curry powder in a pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer, partially covered 15 minutes. Stir to keep from sticking.
3. Add potatoes. Cook another 10 minutes.

Serve over hot basmati rice.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter