24 June 2009

Red Lentil-Cauliflower Curry

I knocked this entrée out of the park, and I'll tell you why. Chastened by my recent failure on the Pineapple Quinoa Stir-Fry, I resolved to no longer alter the Veganomicon recipes. I admit to omitting a hot chile pepper but transgressed no further.

I served this dish with both a fruit salad (strawberry, pineapple, red grape) and a green salad of red leaf lettuce, Belgian endive, toasted hazelnuts, and goat cheese. Several people suggested that I adorn the fruit salad with some sort of citrus-sugar concoction, but I left it naked and tasting superb.

Fruit Iz De Tastee!

Back to the curry. A mélange of soft red lentils and tender cauliflower with kisses of parsnip, onion, and shallots soaked up a spicy brew of vegetable broth, curry powder, and various other warm-climate spices. As a flourish I zapped it with lime juice and chopped cilantro. The recipe authors told me to let it rest, and I did…for over an hour. The flavors melded beautifully. Julia frequently told me how excellent it was, and Julia knows her food, so listen up: it was excellent! Even George approved.

The curry paired beautifully with long-grain brown rice. I think even long-grain white rice would do. Go wild.

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter