02 April 2009

Cauliflower, elegant and rejected

I made some cauliflower the other night and wow! It was the most delicious and complex cauliflower I had ever made. Eyes watering with self-admiration, I looked up at George and basked in his future praise. That's when I noticed that he had stopped eating. "You don't like it?" I asked in disbelief.

"I don't like mustard," he explained.

Ah yes, mustard. Like tempeh and balsamic vinegar, mustard has become a permanent fixture of George's Won't Eat list. There is no conceivable amount of any of these ingredients that George can appreciate in his food. For example, I mixed an entire head of steamed cauliflower with a tablespoon of white wine vinegar (approved), a tablespoon lemon juice (AOK), a couple of tablespoons fresh chopped dill (admired), half a chopped shallot (likewise), two tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper, and 1 scant teaspoon Dijon mustard (WARNING—Recipe Failure).

Doug of course merrily gobbled it up and then ate George's portion. I hastily concealed the rest in a pot until he departed. Finally, leftovers!

By the way, my salad was a major success. George and Doug expressed suprised at how clever and tasty it was, forgetting that I had made tiny variations upon this salad every week all last autumn.

Salad by Sarah

lettuce leaves, room temperature
sliced shallots
chopped dried Mission Figs
chopped toasted walnuts
feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
Dressing: fresh squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil

No comments:

 
Goofy Gourmet, The - Blogged Cultu UR Technologie Directory Site Meter